The application period for the 2020 HEP Scholarship is now open.
Afognak Native Corporation (Afognak) is pleased to announce Koniag Education Foundation’s (KEF) administration of the Higher Education Program (HEP) for the 2020-2021 School Year. Afognak Shareholders may apply for this scholarship opportunity at www.koniageducation.org/sa. Any questions please contact KEF at 907-562-9093 or Afognak at 907-222-9500.
The Afognak Scholarship Committee will continue to score the applications to determine the award recommendations, however the KEF will send the scholarship award payments directly to the school. Scholarship recipients will be announced at the Annual Meeting in May.
HEP is designed to recognize and provide financial support to voting Afognak Shareholders who are students with demonstrated scholastic ability and who are seeking higher education in traditional universities, vocational education, or other educational programs.
HEP has three categories under which students may apply:
Full-Time Students: This category is for students who will be attending school full-time during the academic year. Full-time traditional college or university status is defined as follows:
- Undergraduate – 12 or more credit hours
- Graduate – 9 or more credit hours
Part-Time Students: This category is for students who will be attending school part-time during the academic year. Part-time traditional college or university status is defined as follows:
- Undergraduate – less than 12 credit hours
- Graduate – less than 9 credit hours
Vocational Education: This category is for students who are preparing for professions that are non-academic and directly related to a trade, occupation or vocation during the academic year.
Who May Apply
- HEP awards scholarships to (i) Afognak Shareholders who are Native, and (ii) Afognak Shareholders who are descendants of a Native.
- The two categories of eligible applicants set out in 1 above each include (i) an adoptee of a Native or a descendant of a Native whose adoption occurred prior to majority and is recognized at law or in equity, and (ii) an adoptee whose adoption occurred after the age of majority, but only if that adoptee is both a Native and a voting Shareholder.
- Applicants must be accepted to accredited institutions, universities or colleges, or vocational education or trade schools.
- Qualified employees and Board members who also meet all other requirements under “Who May Apply” are eligible.
- Applicants must be high school graduates or have a GED by the start of the postsecondary education to be eligible to apply for HEP funding.
- Applicants who are in good standing with Afognak’s other scholarship programs. Applicants not in good standing with Afognak scholarship programs will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply
Each applicant is responsible for submitting a complete HEP application packet. The application and all required attachments, including those items sent directly by a third party (e.g., transcripts, letters of recommendations), must be received by the deadline. Incomplete application packets will not be reviewed.
A complete application packet includes the following:
- Completed HEP application form. If questions do not apply, applicant will write “N/A” (not applicable).
- The applicant’s Afognak Shareholder ID number must be noted on the application to provide proof of eligibility.
- Most recent high school or college official or unofficial transcript (whichever is applicable). Vocational applicants do not need to submit transcripts.
- First-time applicantsmust provide a letter of acceptance from the educational institution they plan to attend.
- All applicants must complete the Budget Sheet. Backup documentation justifying costs noted on the budget sheet must be provided, such as a cost of attendance form from the school. Applicants will not be awarded scholarships valued at more than the total cost of attendance identified on their application.
- First time applicants must provide two (2) Letters of Recommendation that are signed by the letter writer.
- One Letter of Recommendation must come from an individual who knows the applicant’s character, scholastic, and/or leadership ability, such as a present or former faculty member or employer.
- The other Letter of Recommendation may be submitted by: a) A faculty member; b) An employer; or c) An individual who knows the applicant well; such as a minister, priest, doctor, or elder in your community.
No Letter of Recommendation from the applicant’s family members will be accepted. The term “family members” is defined as spouse, parents, aunts, uncles, children, and brothers or sisters, either by blood or adoption. Continuing students who are re-applying for the same degree program as the previous year, do not have to provide letters of recommendation .
- The Letter of Application may consist of up to two pages. All of the below must be addressed to receive a high score. If you have any questions on this portion, please reach out to KEF or Afognak staff.
A top scoring application must clearly discuss or demonstrate:
- Introduction – Personal Background
- Education goals (why attending school, school, degree)
- Field of Study Relevancy to Career Goals
- Demonstrated Leadership
- Community Service Contribution
- Benefit to Greater Community
- Benefit to Alutiiq Community
- Family Relationship and History to Afognak
- Tribal Affiliation
- Demonstrated Overall Writing Quality
- A recent portrait photo of the applicant (optional). By submitting a photograph and signing the Student Pledge, the Applicant grants Afognak and ABT the right to use, publish, display, and distribute his/her image.
- All required items listed above must be submitted using my.Afognak.com or by mail, fax, email, or personal delivery to:Koniag Education Foundation
Afognak Benefits Trust Higher Education Program
4241 B Street, Suite 303B
Anchorage, AK 99503
firstname.lastname@example.org; Fax (907) 562-9023
- A HEP applicant may also apply for a Career Enhancement Program (CEP) scholarship during the same year. CEP funds cannot be awarded for the same purpose.