The Afognak Benefits Trusts (ABT) administers the Youth Enhancement Program (YEP).
YEP applications are available January 1 and are accepted and reviewed throughout the year until the budget is expended. Funding is limited and available for voting ANC Shareholder applicants to attend athletic, scholastic, cultural, and leadership trainings, camps or events that will help the student to reach his or her goals.
Examples of the types of trainings, camps or events that qualify for funding include: culture camps, sports camps, leadership events such as Alaska Federation of Natives Elders and Youth Convention, and music or other trainings outside of school. Funds are available until the budget is expended. Funding for the Youth Enhancement Program will be evaluated on an annual basis by the Board of Directors. An applicant may apply as many times as desired as long as he or she does not receive more than $500 total per calendar year.
Who May Apply
- The Youth Enhancement Program awards scholarships to (i) Afognak Benefits Trust (ABT) Shareholders who are Alaska Native, and (ii) ABT Shareholders who are descendants of an Alaska Native.
- The two categories of eligible applicants set out in 1 above each include (i) an adoptee of an Alaska Native or a descendant of an Alaska Native whose adoption occurred prior to majority and is recognized at law or in equity, and (ii) an adoptee whose adoption occurred after the age of majority, but only if that adoptee is both an Alaska Native and a voting Shareholder.
- Applicants must be attending a preschool, elementary, middle or high school at the time of their application.
- Applicants must be accepted to, enrolled in, or registered to participate in a one-time athletic, scholastic, cultural, or leadership training, camp or event that will help the student reach his or her goals.
- Applicant must be a shareholder at the time of their athletic, scholastic, cultural, leadership training, camp or event to qualify for a YEP scholarship.
How to Apply
For your convenience, applications can be downloaded in Adobe PDF. Submission of all required documents constitutes a complete application.
- Complete the form online at my.afognak.com
(Please use Internet Explorer web browser for this application)